Friday, August 29, 2008

Graham's World



For a moment, I sat in a chair a few feet from the stage where Barack Obama had just given his historic acceptance speech at the Democratic Convention in Denver. The crowd was filing out and teams of workers had already started to dismantle the stage. To my left, the television punditry were gushing about the artful speech and to my right a woman wiped a small tear from her cheek. I thought about this blog and what I could share about tonight that would help you understand what it was like to be here. It was a little like 84,000 people had just participated in a seven hour group hug.


I confess I was a little like Wayne and Garth from the 1992 movie Wayne’s World last night when they get backstage passes to an Aerosmith concert. I was a tad too excited, but fortunately I lack the mullet. My credentials (and a little luck) allowed me wide access to Invesco Stadium. I was able to wander the field talking to delegates, visit the media enclave and generally gawk. Delegates and guests were giddy. I watched ABC’s Charlie Gibson toss a beach ball back and forth to delegates from Minnesota. I looked on as CBS’s Bob Schieffer and his crew danced with and while the Louisianans chanted “C B S” as Sheryl Crowe performed onstage.


As the crowd electric awaited the arrival of their nominee, I saw more than one delegate dressed as Uncle Sam (or a very decidedly Aunt Samantha, in one case). But, there was also a seriousness – no, an alertness - to this crowd that made the night unique. People were on the edge of their toes waiting to be a part of something; it was like they were all onstage. By being here, they were part of the show.


I will leave the assessment of the speech to others. The fact that I was sitting soaking up the moment as others filed out, tells me that I too got wrapped up in the moment.

No comments: