Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Little Straight Rock

Most of the Republican delegates are viewing today as the first official day of the convention and appear to be in high spirits.

The police and security presence in St. Paul seems equal to Denver, but the attitude is a bit stricter following yesterday’s unruly demonstrators who vandalized cars, broke the Macy’s window and roughed up a delegate or two. I was not in the fray when this happened, which is good for many reasons - had I been there when the police started discharging pepper spray, I probably would have wet myself.

Republican convention goers dress nicer than their Democratic counterparts. My blue blazer and open collar made me one of the better dressed last week. Before I head over tonight, I think I will put on a tie to make sure I better blend in with the GOP.

If you are looking for a lively discussion on the streets of St. Paul, mention Governor Palin’s pregnant daughter. People have strong opinions and are ready to debate. Some are offended the topic is even raised; while others passionately defend the Palin family’s handling of the matter. I have no idea whether delegates find this relevant to deciding whether or not they will vote to approve the Governor’s nomination, but I am sure the Governor’s daughter’s pregnancy (or the Governor’s handling of this personal family matter) is the most discussed topic in the Twin Cities.

I am still searching for the Republican equivalent to last week's Condomvention at the Democratic Convention. I have not found it yet, but tonight Governor Mike Huckabee and the Arkansas delegation are hosting “A Little Straight Rock” Concert. This baffles me. It would have been clever of the Arkansans to hold “A Little Rock Concert” as a play on the name of their capital city, but the word straight throws me. I may stop in. It may turn out to be many things, but I am convinced it won’t be a gay marriage rally.

No comments: